Universal Transitional Kindergarten
Purposeful play, disguised learning, and targeted academic growth.
These core ideas are at the heart of Hawthorne School District’s educational journey for transitional kindergarten students. We believe in providing EVERY child with a strong foundation for success, and our transitional kindergarten program is designed to do just that!
What is Universal Transitional Kindergarten?
Our Transitional Kindergarten Program is a bridge between preschool and kindergarten, specially crafted to cater to the unique needs of young learners. It is an essential stepping stone that will set the stage for a lifetime of learning and growth.
What are the benefits of Transitional Kindergarten?
- Personalized Learning: Our transitional kindergarten teachers and transitional support specialists understand that every child is unique. With small class sizes, we can focus on individual needs and provide personalized attention to ensure optimal development.
- Age-Appropriate Curriculum: We offer a play-based curriculum that nurtures creativity and curiosity while introducing fundamental academic concepts like early literacy, mathematics, science, social science, fine arts, and support with the development of fine motor skills.
- Social and Emotional Development: In addition to academics, our program places significant emphasis on social and emotional growth. We help children develop essential life skills, emotional intelligence, and positive relationships with their peers.
- Experienced and Caring Teachers and Staff: Our team of dedicated educators is passionate about nurturing young minds. They create a warm and inclusive environment where every child feels safe, valued, and confident. Our 1:12 (adult to student ratio) allows for us to provide students with individualized instruction at their specific developmental stage
- Classroom Designs: Our purposefully-designed classrooms provide a stimulating learning environment consisting of furniture, learning spaces, and 1:1 student devices that inspire exploration and imagination.
- Family Engagement: We strongly believe in the power of a collaborative partnership between families and teachers. Regular communication and involvement opportunities keep parents informed about their child's progress and engaged in the learning journey.
What are some of our Hawthorne School District UTK program highlights?
- McGraw-Hill “World of Wonders” - A comprehensive, literacy-based cross-curricular program that provides a developmentally appropriate, early strong foundation for reading fluency for our young learners.
- “Handwriting Without Tears” - A handwriting program that focuses on fluent writing development.
- Heggerty - A literacy-based program that centers on lessons and activities that target phonemic awareness development.
- Footsteps2Brillance - A comprehensive early literacy program that increases kindergarten readiness through interactive and animated eBooks, songs, and educational games.
- LEGO Education - Provides playful, hands-on learning experiences that support critical thinking and creativity.
- ST Math - Builds conceptual understanding which leads to increased ability to solve mathematical problems.
- Arts Integration - Cross-curricular lesson activities engage students in learning through multiple arts disciplines (music, theater, and visual arts)
Our Transitional Kindergarten program will help unlock your child's potential and set them on the path to a bright future. Transitional Kindergarten … where lifelong learning begins!