Students who test positive for or are diagnosed with COVID-19 should isolate at home and follow the Isolation Instructions for People with COVID-19 from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LACDPH). Families are urged to contact the main office of their student's school to inform them of the positive COVID-19 test results or diagnosis. LACDPH strongly recommends that students test negative prior to exiting isolation between Day 6-10, however, a negative COVID-19 test is no longer required to leave isolation between Day 6-10 provided that the student:
- Has been fever-free for a minimum of 24 hours without the use of any fever-reducing medicines
- Has symptoms that are mild and improving or no symptoms
- Wears a well-fitting mask indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, through Day 10 to avoid infecting others
- The student may stop wearing their mask sooner (between Day 6-10) if they have two sequential negative COVID-19 tests taken at least one day apart.
To count the days, Day 0 is the first day of symptoms. For students who do experience symptoms, Day 0 of isolation is the day that symptoms first appeared. For students that do not have symptoms, Day 0 is when the first positive test was collected. If the student goes on to get symptoms, restart with Day 0 as the first day of symptoms. Please see COVID-19 Testing for possible testing options and Parent/Student Resources for additional resources in the area. Reach out to your student's school office for any questions or concerns.
Students who have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 do not need to quarantine and are able to attend school, provided they are not experiencing any symptoms and follow the Instructions for Close Contacts from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. Families of students who are exposed should contact their school's main office to inform them of the exposure. To continue attending school after an exposure to COVID-19, students should:
- Wear a highly protective mask for 10 days
- Get tested 3-5 days after the last day of exposure
- Testing is not recommended for students who were previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 within the last 90 days as long as they do not have any symptoms.
- Monitor for symptoms
- If symptoms develop, stay home away from others and test for COVID-19.